There are a couple of ladies in my mothers bible study group at church who are currently going through breast cancer. One I know really well and the other just through passing. What is so shocking about this is that they are both a couple of years younger than me and both have very young children. The one mom who I know really well has a five year old and two year old daughters and the other mom has a four year old daughter and three year old son.
Women in the group volunteer to bring dinners to the family when the moms are going through chemotherapy or are just really needed. I agreed to be on the list. I received a call last Friday that I would be bringing a meal to the family of the mom that I don't know very well.
What I do know very well through email updates is that she is not doing well. The cancer spread through her lymph nodes and is now residing in her liver, brain, bone etc. and she is not responding well to chemo. I was feeling very shamefully intimidated about bringing the family dinner. I don't like admitting it, but part of me was hoping that she wouldn't return my phone call so I wouldn't have to go through with it.
Perhaps it is because of her prognosis, or perhaps it is facing her beautiful children and knowing that they may lose their mother at such a young age, or perhaps it is knowing that this could happen to anyone, myself included. ANYWAY, she called me back.. I put up a good front and told her that I really wanted to bring her a super yummy meal. Whatever sounded good to her at a restuarant of her choice (too hot to cook). I anticipated her response to be one that many mom's make who I have brought meals to in the past (never for sickness..usually a new baby)..being.."whatever is fine.." BUT no, she got very excited and was so positive and friendly and she told me that she was having a craving for hawaiian (sp?) bbq beef at a local food joint. I said "you got it!".
If a simple request like hawaiian bbq could bring an inkling of joy to someone who is going through this horrible ordeal with such positiveness...COUNT ME IN.
She was not available when I delivered her food to the family but I had a wonderful conversation with her husband (who was actually serving in Iraq when she first found out she had cancer..he missed her first year of going through chemo and being sick. He is home for now though.)
P. and I talked about it when I came home and have agreed that I am going to be on a permanent rotation to bring them meals at least once a month. Please keep these families in your prayers!
Wednesday, August 03, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
They will both be in our prayers J. These kinds of situations really make you think alot about how much we have to be grateful for in our own lives don't they? What a neat thing that the mom responded so cheerfully. I'm proud of you J. that your involved in this kind of thing.
Wow! What a great attitude she has when asked what she wanted! Man-oh-man - I just hope if any of us get into that situation that we can be upbeat and positive and just take what life is dealing at the time. I'm so glad you're who YOU are . . . that family couldn't have a better person serving the Lord in that way! Way to go, J. Love you!
I'm wiping away the tears as I speak. How great of you to overcome your fear and call her. How great of her to be specific about something that would make her day. How great of you to be so pleased to do it. How great of P to be so encouraging. How great of God to put all the pieces together.
Post a Comment