So P. and I are having a lazy Sunday afternoon sitting on the couches watching Comedy Central. We keep having to tell the kids to go play in the other room because the material on T.V. was not very appropriate. We were watching the "You Know Your a Redneck when..." movie with Jeff Foxworthy and his other hilarious friends. We were cracking up so hard at some of these jokes (actually relating to some of them as well..) when the phone rang. I told P. that I didn't feel like answering and he said he didn't really feel like answering either so it just rang four times and went to voicemail. Well on a commercial, I got my lazy self up to hear the message (curiousity got the better of me).
On the message was this truck driver friend of P.'s who is from Mississippi (his dad fought in Vietnam with P's dad) and has this incredibly slow southern drawl (very much like the comedian's we were watching). He said (in a very slow southern way) "Do ya'll like chicken? I have a bunch of chicken that Ralph's won't take because they said that they didn't order that much. I can't take it back with me so I have to get rid of it..call me if you want some chicken?"
I looked around me feeling like I was on Candid Camera.. I mean the timing of watching the Redneck comedy show and hearing this message was too much. I told P. that he had to call him back. And he said that he didn't feel like it because the guy is a really draining sort of fellow. I said are you crazy... it's free chicken. I mean you can't get a better deal than that.
So after the guy tried P. on his cell phone and he wouldn't answer it, I kept the phone close by and sure enough he called back which I answered quickly and handed it over to P. Ah hah!! We set up a time and place to meet him and off we went. The kids had a blast, of course we had to play the "Convoy" trucker song on the C.D. player as we drove there and then he pulled up in a very impressive purple cab eighteen wheeler. It was like a field trip, the boys were able to look inside and see what the life of a trucker is like. AND I have 33 lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken thighs in my freezer. Yee haw!! He told us that he tried calling a month ago because he had 250 lbs. of boneless/skinless chicken BREASTS that he had to get rid of. Can you imagine??
Monday, August 15, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I hope y'all have some of that boneless skinless chicken thighs left when we come in October . . . well you probably won't and that's okay. But I think y'all need to make good friends with that southern boy and be nice to him whenever he's out your way!
OHMYGOSH! That's unbelievable! Thighs are great -- 33 pounds??? I can't even picture that. and all those breasts that you missed out on! I'd never screen out the Chicken Man's calls.....too funny about watching that "you know you're a red neck when..." show while he called :>
What a great deal for you guys. It sure would be great if he called regularly, and you were supplied with all the thighs and breasts you could use!
Post a Comment