As you may have read on a previous blog, I'm having tons of fun this summer taking the kids "outside of our smaller town" on different outings. We had a lot of fun at the Hollywood Bowl Summer Sounds for kids program with the fieldtrip class, that I decided to go back on my own. This week the Sailboat traveled to Mexico visiting a Native American Indian (Aztec..I believe) tribe.
We arrived in the morning and the kids are supposed to sit on the floor up close to the stage and the moms if they choose (and I do choose because I like the seats with backs) sit in chairs behind the floor area. So all the kids in the line made a mad dash for the floor area. The boys sat together and K. could not quite make it with them sat about five feet behind them with some older kids. I found my way back to a front-row seat and made myself comfortable but always keeping a close-eye on my kids. Always mentally counting ..one..two..three..okay we're good. So next thing I know No.2 child J. gets up and starts heading towards the exit. Uh..no..this won't do, so I hurriedly get up and head the same way. I see him with two other kids sitting with one of the stage crew. I said "uh..what are you doing".. He said "but Mom, I'm going to be in the show". Well alrighty then..you go J"! So I make sure visually that C. is okay sitting by himself with K. sitting not too far behind him.
As the show begins the sailboat makes it's way all around the sitting area "really neat singing musical part of the show" and finds it's way to Mexico. I can see off stage these huge feathers of Indian Headresses offstage and I think to myself "I hope C doesn't freak out". Sure enough the big booming sounds of the drums start and the "Ayy yaayy yaay ing" singing starts with these incredible tribal costumes come dancing in." I quickly get up to get a closer visual to make sure that all is okay and see smiles all around.. we're all good!" The show was fantastic and at one point the Captain starts describing a dream he had about the Indian creation of man. The first boy that was created was made out of mud... Yep.. J. was "mudboy". He walks on-stage very seriously decked out in his "Jesus Rocks" red t-shirt from last years VBS. Too funny.. since the story is a Native American Creation story. ANYWAY he was soo cute on stage... very serious and the Captain went on pointing out the boy then smiles (he forces a smile on J.'s face with his hands which cracked J. up). He then described how the rain came and washed the boy away. J. pretended to melt and walked off stage. C. was cracking up at J. on stage the whole time. It was pretty cute. After the show, they went to the craft area, where K. made a Aztec Doll and the boys made warrior shields. OF COURSE that is what they picked out to make. In their minds they were real warrior shields and not decorated paper plates with taped handles on the back.
Afterwards, the kids wanted to go on Hollywood Blvd. So we found parking near the Chinese Theatre and ventured out. Too much.. we were truly "not in Kansas anymore". There were all sorts of people (homeless I think) dressed in costumes trying to make a few bucks to have their picture taken with tourists. The kids thought this was too cool. They saw, Batman, Spiderman, Dora, Spongebob, Stormtrooper etc. Even Marilyn Monroe (smelling a bit like alcohol) slurred out to J. "Praise the Lord little boy". Remember his shirt. Hmm...note to self, where something more subtle next week.
Anyway, the true highlight of the day (if there could be anymore) was having the kids picture taken at one of the vendors where they can superimpose their faces onto a chosen scene. They chose Star Wars of course. So we have the most incredible picture of K. as Padme, J. as Annakin, and C. as Obi. Their facial expressions are too much. They all really got into character.
Anyway, the sailboat goes to Russia next week followed by Scotland the week after. Then its' over. Will keep you posted if we can get tickets.
Saturday, August 06, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You are one awesome story teller! I felt like I was right there seeing Mudboy melt away . . . and I could see C cracking up at his brother. I gotta see that picture next time we're down, for sure! So . . . how was the Aztec doll made?
Go Mudboy! You're title reminds me of Dirty Dancing..."But daddy, I want to be in the show...I can see I Feel Pretty or That's Where The Other Folks Live or I Feel Pretty."
Too cool that you've found this neat Hollywood Bowl thing, who knew?
I could just see the Jesus Rocks shirt on Hollywood Blvd!!!
Post a Comment