Friday, August 26, 2005

So Sad...

Paul called me last night and told me that a fellow officer's son was in the PICU. His name is Jacob and he is ten year's old. When he was four years old he went on a family camping trip and somehow ended up with over fifty mosquito bites on the back of his neck in a very concentrated area. This caused an infection and his brain to swell and he has been having seizures ever since. He was swimming at a friends house yesterday and had a siezure while in the jacuzzi. They found him on the bottom of the jacuzzi and the length of time he was under is questionable but he has water in the lungs, Pulminary Edema (whatever that is) and is on a ventilator. The family is very distraught. Paul and his partner went to the hospital during their shift and Paul prayed over Jacob and with his father. Very raw emotions.

I, in turn, have had a wonderful day with the kids. We started out with breakfast with Paul, then some shopping/walking/playing at the mall. We even saw a movie, came home and had some ice cream. I really want to take advantage of the time that I have with the kids. You never really know what might happen or just how long we have.

3 comments:

CaliforniaGrammy said...

We're praying for Jacob as well. What a sad story . . . and you're right - life is unpredictable and precious. It sounds like a fun day with the kids . . . I'm glad for you to have that special time with them.

Middle America Mom said...

I read this the other day and felt so sad that I couldn't even comment. I, too, have been praying for Jacob.

Aunt Patty said...

H and I will pray for little Jacob also. Life is unpredictable and so precious. These kinds of things make us realize it even more. I'm glad you and the children had such a great day together J.