Thursday, September 13, 2007

Happy Rosh Hashanah

Just a couple of years ago, our elementary schools started observing this holiday. It seems really strange to me to have a Thursday off and then go back to school on Friday to turn right around and be off on Saturday and Sunday. HOWEVER, it is a great day to go to an amusement park. Knowing that our life will be very different soon and amusement parks will not be as easily accessible, we decided to take advantage of the holiday and go to Universal Studios.

P worked last night so he slept today while the kids and I went to use our annual passes (awhile back we purchased a day and got a year free).

If you haven't been in awhile, Universal City Walk is really fun to walk through on your walk into the theme park. All sorts of neat things to see and window shop. Once in the park, the animal show was seating so we immediately went there and saw all of the cute animals do tricks. A lot of the animals were just featured in the film Evan Almighty (about the modern day Noahs Ark).

We then went to Jurassic Park. This is a favorite of ours but we haven't been since they have been advertising how you get soakin' wet. And INDEED they keep their word. It was a very warm day, so it actually felt really good. We then hiked it over to the Tomb of the Mummy ride which C just met the 48" requirement height. I thought it was one of those "touring" type rides and would be a little scary. HOWEVER, it was definitely a "rollercoaster" ride that after it did the initial ride, it went backward to where you began (or something like that.. since it was pitch black with flourescent mummies popping out everywhere). Then in the end you see a movie screen with a mummy talking and cockroaches start creeping all over him and lo and behold something under your feet moves and you feel the "bugs" crawling on you. NIIICCCEE. Totally didn't expect this kind of ride. C was excited that he experienced his "first REAL roller coaster ride" J was a bit creeped out by the mummies and the cockroaches. I was dumbfounded that I had no idea it was a real ride.

We then went to Shrek 4D which is always alot of fun. 4D means that you wear 3D glasses and the movie is a 3D movie but your chair moves whenever the characters are being very active and you experience other things like water splashing on your face when a character sneezes or air blowing your hair when you are flying... things like that. And we ended our "brief day" watching the Blues Brothers perform. The kids wanted to go to the "Big Guitar" restaurant located on the City Walk (Hard Rock Cafe) for a late lunch which I thought would be a great way to end a fun filled day.

What a blast! Now I have to convince myself that tomorrow isn't Sunday and get them ready for school in the morning.

p.s. we just finished a yummy dinner of creamy tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches and I'm introducing them to a Pippy Longstocking movie that I borrowed from the library... Oh.. Annika....

3 comments:

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Well Happy Rosh Hashanah to all of you! What a fun fun day y'all had. I'm so proud of CD going on his first roller coaster type ride. And what a great sport you were, JJ! You're right, where you're moving I don't know of any amusement park except maybe the big water park on I-99. A great idea, and how convenient for the schools to observe this holiday so you could take advantage of the day off. I'm with JD—those kind of surprises creep me out too. But the last one we've been part of was the one at Disneyland where you swear there are mice crawling among your feet!

And what a comfort-food dinner too. The only part of your post that I have no idea of is . . . "Oh, Annika" ???

Aunt Patty said...

What a great Rosh Hashanah you all had! I don't know what "Oh Annika" is either. Maybe a character in Pippy Long Stocking?? I love tomatoe soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, a choice combination.

jennavar said...

Yes... Annika is Pippi's friend. She is a bit whiny though. It always crack me up to watch the Pippi movies because it is dubbed in English, so their lips move differently to what is being said. Pippi always calls out "Ohhh Annniikkaaa".