Well, many of you have probably heard of the latest movie, which I have yet to see, entitled Wedding Crashers?? Well now let me introduce you to the one year old birthday party crashers. Yep... that's us. P asked me this past Saturday to go pick up a present for his partners son who turned one. He said that he told his partner that he wanted to drop a present off for his son. His partner apparantly told him that was fine. Now, it is not like their house is close by and it would make sense for us to just "drop by". Nope..their house is about 45 minutes away. Anyway, I ran and got a gift as P asked. I told P that if they were having a party that we weren't invited to on the same day, I would be really embarrassed dropping by. I really don't know them very well, only P does from working with his partner.
P said "no, don't worry.. their just having his parents over for a bbq.. it will be fine. We'll just drop off the gift, say hi real quick and then go to this yummy Mexican joint nearby for dinner". So we loaded the van with the whole "Varner Party of Five" and off we went. As we finally pull up to their house, I notice that the parking is limited and hmmm... look at the house that has a big stuffed monkey holding balloons. That couldn't be their house could it because THEIR NOT HAVING A PARTY... Sure enough we approach the front door (I'm hiding behind P at this point). P walks in and we are stared at by five long dinner tables full of people finishing up their dinner.
Oh My Goodness... My nightmare coming true! The house is completely decked out with decorations, picture of the one year old everywhere. The theme is jungle animals with stuffed animals holding balloons everywhere. Too cute... I'm sure the PARTY INVITATIONS were in the same theme.
So P continues saying "oh hi, we just wanted to drop off a gift". Which I'm sure was intrepreted as "oh, hi, see we weren't invited and want to make you feel really bad by looking at our faces longing to be included as we drop off this gift for your kid." I mean it seemed like the wife was still trying to figure out who we were!!!
Of course what followed was "Oh hi.. no it's okay.. come on in.. we have lots of food left.. help yourself. " Which I was then sure that P would quickly jump in and explain "Oh no, we can only stay for a minute, we are heading out to eat at this Mexican joint down the street (that we always like to travel for 45 MINUTES to get to). But no, P looked around with a look like "Cool, tri-tip.. looks good to me... let's dig in".
Needless to say, we ended up staying and enjoyed dinner... cake... present-opening.. the whole works! The kids had a blast (they were really the entertaining part of the party) and we got to know the LARGE family real well.
So if you know of any birthday parties around, just let me know because we might be available regardless of how far away it is. Hee hee... too much!
Tuesday, October 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
How funny!! Can you imagine Paul saying "Oh, tri-tip, looks good to me"? What a riot. I could just feel your uncomfortableness in my tummy. I would love to hear how your kids were a large part of the entertainment. I'll keep my ears open for word of birthday parties around, hee hee!!
Crazy! I would have been so embarassed too. Wouldn't you know that they were serving tri-tip. I know that P loves it. You'd be safe here in the Midwest - they don't have tri-tip here!
Hilarious story, J - I love to read your writing . . . I could hear your voice inflections in your writing and was laughing soooo hard practically at every sentence. How bold of P to say . . . hmmmm tri-tip! How embarassing. Did you finally relax enough to have a good time. Hope they were serving Margueritas!
Ack! embarrassment alert embarrassment alert!!
At least it sounds like they were gracious!
Don't you wish you could send mind-meld messages to P at times like those? "Say no, P, say no!" Oh well, you lived through it :-)
Post a Comment